5 stages benchmarking yourself for professional growth
As Professionals, some of us have been lucky to have found a Mentor or Coach early in our Career Transitions… while some of us haven’t been lucky enough. Depending on the Professional’s need, a Mentor or Coach deploys an appropriate process to influence the desired change (e.g. Functional or Behavioural Competency Need for a Role Profile or Performance Improvement or Organizational Change) in the Professional’s World of Work & Life.
As a Mentor and Coach, I have always shared this stage-driven process in my engagements with the most important Asset of Organizations – “People”. The following few lines shall give an insight for those who would love to Mentor or Coach Yourself. I call this “The Art of Benchmarking yourself” for Personal and Professional Growth.
Stage 1: Assess Yourself
- Begin by writing down your Strengths and Competencies.
- Strictly do not write down your weaknesses, they don’t really matter when you can leverage and channelize your Strengths!
Stage 2: Connect to the Core
- Ask yourself: “What I really want, what makes me truly happy and feel satisfied”.
- Once you know what you want… Create a Picture of this Person you want to be.
- Once you have made this Picture… Write down what competencies and Value System you need to further Develop to realize this Picture of You.
- Define Short Term and Long Term SMART Goals in alignment to this Picture of You.
- You could do the above Steps either by yourself or with your closest friends or Colleagues (Friends or Colleagues who know you really well… and are critical & mature enough to help you identify your Core)
Stage 3: Implement Change
- Work on these Competencies for the next 6 Months based on a time driven sustainable Development Plan
- Monitor the Progress for Goal Roadblocks, Change Motivators & Negativators.
Stage 4: Reassess Change
- Re-Assess yourself at the end of 6 Months.
- If you have shown measureable improvements in your identified Development Areas… You are on track for Success. Celebrate Change!
- If you have fallen short of the Goals or if you are excelling in your Goals too easily, Evaluate and Re-adjust your approach. Make your SMART Goals SMARTER!!!
Stage 5: Sustain Benchmarking
- A Person and a Professional changes with changing times. Based on the relevance to the envisioned Picture of You incorporate these Changes to your Sustainable Development Plan.
- Repeat the Benchmarking Cycle every 6 Months, for as long as you live your Wonderful Life. Remember… “Success is a Journey”!